1505 NW Gilman #5B
Issaquah, WA 98027
Located west of McDonald’s in the little brown building across from QFC. Not an office with staff, only a classroom location for class sessions and pick up/drop off for lessons and tests. Our office with staff is located in Kirkland at 10505 NE 38th Place Bldg 9.
Speed up the registration process: pre-apply, the first step to getting your first driver license, instruction permit, or ID card.
Teen Course details (click here):
- Provided in our classes: 34 hours of classroom, 5 hours of driving, and 1 hour student observation.
- A parent information session will be held.
- We strongly encourage a parent or guardian ride along on at least one driving lesson.
- Minimum course length is 5 weeks and all classroom and driving requirements must be completed within 4 months. Students are allowed to miss and make up a maximum of 3 classes. Please keep extra-curricular activities and travel plans in mind before registering for a teen course to ensure proper attention can be given toward this course.
- A driving permit is required before the first lesson. Students can get their permit up to 10 days before the start date of class.
- Driving lessons are held outside of classroom meeting times and will extend beyond the end of the classroom portion of the course.
- Upon completion of the course, an electronic certificate will be reported to the Department of Licensing. This process takes up to 3-4 weeks.
- Most of our communication is through email. When registering please provide a regularly checked email address for both student and parent.
- Next ReviewsShital Hiran05:13 02 Sep 22It was a great experience with defensive driving school. Isaac Kim (my instructor) is very skilled and professional guy with lots of patience. I would definitely recommend this for learning sessions as well as driving test. Thank you Isaac Kim..:)Chethana Bhaskar02:48 17 Jul 22I had a great experience at Defensive Driving School, Issaquah! The instructor Mr. Isaac Kim was really patient and made me understand all safe driving practices. He also accommodated my test immediately so I got my license earlier. 10/10 would recommend taking driving lessons from this school.zhu huang04:49 26 Jun 22Highly recommended! I took my diving lesson and test with instructor Kim. He is very professional, experienced and kind. He would make sure to cover as much as details in the driving and made sure the environment was safe and fun. It is for sure worth it driving to Issaqua and taking the class here.Aryan Puthran19:11 21 May 22I had a great experience at DDS. Isaac Kim (my instructor) was extremely professional, kind, and very helpful in my journey of learning to drive. From basic turning to the final skills test, he has always been there to make sure I keep myself and others safe. Mr. Kim made sure the environment I learned in was fun and safe. Thank you so much Mr. Kim!Shruti Patankar18:09 27 Apr 22The driving school at Issaquah was awesome for my driving lessons. Issac was very patient, a great instructor and focused on getting my driving techniques be perfect along with ensuring that I am following all the safety protocols. He provided me with enough amount of practice before recommeding me to take the test. I would highly recommend Issac.Themi Randeny05:51 19 Apr 22The online lessons and in-person training were both taught at an excellent pace and by understanding and qualified teachers. The administration also keeps in touch with the student so that they do not get too overwhelmed in what can sometimes seem like a daunting process. It is rare that I feel this confident in a 5/5 rating.Hani Ck00:54 28 Mar 22No wonder this place got 5 star reviews, especially Mr. Kim. I am glad that I found Mr. Kim as my instructor. He is always encouraging and very knowledgeable. He works with your pace and builds confidence. Finally, I could take the fear of driving out of my life, that was only because of Mr. Kim. I would 100% recommend this place and Mr. Kim.priya singh verma01:50 06 Dec 21I benefited a lot from my driving lessons with Mr. Kim. He is not just a great instructor but an amazing human being as well. I am originally from India so I used to driving on the other side of the road. And Mr Kim was very understanding of my paradigm shift and gave me time to overcome that. Also, he always looks out for my best interest.This was my first learning/ driving experience in the United States and I couldn't have asked for a better teacher. Thank you Mr. Kim for being so amazing.Nick Vanni05:16 29 Nov 21Good Drivers Ed school; however, the reviews here are all skewed by the fact that the lead driver asks for a 5 star Google Review to be done in the car at the end of the last drive. Please take these reviews with a grain of salt due to this as it is a very manipulative move that helps bring in new students - me being one of them.Other than that, they are a great drivers ed school; however, I cannot post a 5 star review in good conscience, as I don't want the school's rating being skewed by their ask for a 5 star review before you leave them for the final time.Jeannie Kenyon23:20 03 Nov 21I have had two teenagers take lessons at two different driving schools in the Issaquah area so I’m in a good position to compare. I wholeheartedly recommend Defensive Driving School over the other nearby school (won’t name them) to anyone looking for a school. The best part was the behind the wheel instruction provided by Isaac Kim. My son took all 5 drives with Isaac and I observed from the back seat. In each drive, he was very thorough with instructions and gave reasoning for all explanations. He also took the time to illustrate on paper for the visual learners. The most impressive part was his ability to keep the lesson stress free by trying to make the students relax and provided lots of humor throughout the lessons. I am very happy with my decision to sign up at DDS and my only regret is not having had my daughter go here two years ago. The other school she attended made her feel so anxious that she left one drive crying. No need for that. Trust me, go to Defensive.Sridhar Gollapalli03:00 28 Oct 21I moved to Seattle recently from India. Heard about Defensive Driving School from colleagues and read reviews on Google. I have enrolled for Knowledge test, Skills test and driving classes. I must mention and thank Mr Issac Kim, the expert instructor, for teaching me the basics and also advance topics as I mature class by class. His sense of humor is great and examples that he provided are apt and resonate well with the situation. I am happy to mention that I passed the driving test and glad to recommend Defensive Driving School to anyone wanting to learn driving be good at it. Thank you Mr. Kim.saga17:18 12 Oct 21I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed my 5 day driving class with Isaac Kim. I took classes with this instructor after reading all the positive reviews. He was excellent, extremely knowledgeable and patient. He made the class extremely fun and made the stress of learning easy. Had an awesome experience overall. I am very impressed.Tanisha Sabhaney16:07 11 Oct 21Isaac and Jo are great instructors. Isaac has great attention to detail and focuses on all the important and necessary aspects to make a good driver. I enjoyed my lessons with this school. They are very thorough and help you prepare for your experience on the road.CV Wolf23:14 10 Sep 21The DDS online courses and parent communication were highly impressive and went beyond our expectations. The teaching staff are engaging, passionate, and truly care - all the staff I've encountered are helpful and kind. And then we met Mr. Isaac Kim. What a genuine gift to humanity. He helped my daughters build confidence and awareness behind the wheel with a unique kindness, patience, and humor. My daughters didn't want his lessons to end, but in a sense, they never really do, because he's a part of their subconscious now. Driving lessons with Mr. Isaac Kim are life lessons. He takes the stress out of the most stressful milestone and makes the roads a lot safer. I'm a better driver now, and I didn't even take the class. Thank you for your generosity! 500 stars out of 5! I wish DDS had Mr. Isaac Kim merch to display in the car...Xenia Elzohairy06:18 29 Aug 21Make sure you book your class with Isaac Kim, he is a fantastic driving instructor. I had a fear of driving but his calm and reassuring teaching style made it so easy for me to learn and pass the test. I couldn't have asked for a better learning experience.Madhavi Vivek20:42 19 Jul 21Very helpful and supportive. Also very kind and funny to create a stress-free environment. Helped me in adult lessons and moved my test earlier. He is very flexible and understanding. Best experience I could've had!!Dannielle Hiu23:21 03 Jul 21I had Issac throughout my time there and he is AMAZING. He’s patient, kind, and best of all is his jokes haha. He genuinely cares and wants you to pass. I would definitely recommend Defensive Driving School for anyone looking, and try to get Issac to be your instructor!! You won’t regret it!Fariha Malik00:04 29 Jun 21Mr Issac Kim is an amazing teacher and extremely patient human. He really helped me get from zero driving skills to becoming a pretty decent driver in 10 classes. I highly recommend taking all your classes with him. Overall such a smooth and fun experience learning from him.Joel Iorga22:23 02 Jun 21Outstanding Drive and Class Instructors!Tyson is a great class instructor that really provided an enjoyable learning experience backed by clear years of expertise.Isaac Kim is an enjoyable, well-versed instructor that provided a great, safe environment.Nothing but positives about this school.Rahul Rathi02:19 15 May 21I’m extremely impressed by Mr. Isaac Kim. I had a driving license from another country and Mr. Kim helped me obtain a Washington drivers license. His unique teaching style is super engaging and fun and he provided so much invaluable driving knowledge and confidence. Loved his funny stories! Highly recommendBelinda K. Tyrer18:04 30 Apr 21Nothing but great things to say about Mr Isaac Kim and my experience with DDS. I am an experienced driver used to driving on the left side of the road but chose to take a package of 10 lessons to get used to driving in Washington (Right on red isn't really a thing where I was from). Mr Kim was amazingly supportive every step of the way and never once belittled me when I made mistakes or showed signs of boredom during lessons like driving instructors I had in the past. He always kept lessons light-hearted with his very wry sense of humour, and I always looked forward to lessons for that reason. He offered tips in very 'easy-to-remember' anecdotes, like, 'UP, UP, and AWAY' when parking UPhill, so that you'd remember to turn your wheels AWAY from the curb. It was a bittersweet moment when I passed my test on the very first attempt, as I will no longer get to drive with this very spirited personality in the passenger seat, who made driving all that less daunting 🙂 Thank you, Mr Kim!Akshaya Gulhati23:44 26 Mar 21Isaac taught me really really well. Broke down the tough stuff into simple steps. I’ve been driving for 25 years, but now I finally get the right and systematic way to parallel park! Highly recommended! The kids are coming here to learn from Isaac! Thank you.Emma Silva16:35 24 Mar 21It was really good and I was able to learn a lot in a short period of time despite taking the class online. The instructors were really nice and helped me learn a lot. I would recommend this school to anyone looking to learn to drive!Jennifer Joh22:49 24 Feb 21Instructor Kim was really patient with me all throughout my lessons. He also gave me concise and thorough instructions on driving. It is also a very friendly and easygoing environment for a first-time, nervous adult driver. I was able to pass my test within the allotted package lessons! I would definitely recommend instructor Kim and DDS to others.A Butler20:28 23 Feb 21We have had three children at Defensive Driving School over the past 10 years. Instructors are professional, communicate easily with teens, and make the whole process safe and fun. Worth the money! Can't say enough good things about Mr. Kim! Such an asset to our community.Jordan Lieb23:14 25 Jan 21I really enjoyed doing Drivers Ed with DDS. Online was a little rough, but they compacted it to only a few months which was nice. I did all of my drives/tests with Mr. Kim and he is amazing! He makes everything pretty fun and relaxed, recommend him/DDS to anyone looking to take driver’s edShravanthi rajagopal00:47 17 Jan 21When I joined Defensive Driving School, I was an adult with no prior experience with car driving and the adult driving lesson package was really helpful to learn the basics. Spl mention to my instructor Douglas Erickson - I really loved the way he encouraged me to learn driving with continuous appreciation when I do something good and careful instructions when I do something wrong. Would recommend to choose him as instructorNicholas Graham01:33 07 Nov 20This school is amazing, especially the instructor Isaac. His teaching methods provided clear and concise instructions while still leaving room for humor. Some of the tips that he’d give will forever remain in my mind as I drive.“Sometimes life doesn’t make sense, for example, why do they call it a drive way where you park and a park way where you drive.”-IsaacLuke Mileski22:21 27 Oct 20DDS was great! My instructor Isaac was awesome and helped me a lot with improving my driving skills. My mom said scheduling classes was very easy. I highly recommend the collision avoidance training. I’m very glad I chose this program and recommend it for any other student drivers!krity deb23:22 15 Oct 20When I decided to learn driving, I picked this school based on the Google reviews. I read a lot of good things about Mr. Isaac Kim. I am so glad I picked up this school. I took the 5 class package. When I started learning, I knew almost nothing and was extremely scared to be behind the wheel but over the last year, I have become quite confident and I would say all credit goes to Mr. Kim. He has been most kind and patient with me, answered even the most basic questions and guided to learn the right thing. He has really taught me well. I passed the test and have become more confident driver. Whenever I scheduled a class, I always made sure I had him as my instructor. Mr. Kim, I was lucky to have you as my teacher. Thank you very much for all the guidance.JD Carroz21:26 17 Sep 20Great experience for our young driver. Isaac was a calm reassuring presence and helped build confidence and provide great feedback on areas to focus on when driving with us.Tree Pi17:41 08 Sep 20Mr. Kim was a great instructor! I really enjoyed his classes and he was great at teaching.Ryan Welsh00:14 26 Aug 20Love the instructors here. Great place, had a great time learning here.Wanhe Zhao18:22 23 Aug 20Issac is super helpful in getting me comfortable on the wheel! Really informative and nice instructor. He not only teaches me how to pass the test but also always reminds me how to safely drive on the road. Highly recommended!Boris L.03:38 23 Aug 20I can't praise Isaac highly enough for dedication to his students, professionalism, good communication and focus on safety. I also appreciate the extra effort Isaac takes to keep his classroom and cars clean and sanitized during COVID-19 pandemic.After a few lessons with Isaac my teenage son became more confident and observant on the road. I highly recommend Defensive Driving School Issaquah location.Anya Krupp23:22 22 Aug 20I picked this driving school based on the reviews and I am so glad I did. I had an amazing experience learning how to drive. Mr Kim was my teacher, he is thoughtful, patient and kind. Not judgemental at all! I was worried and nervous to go to driving school, I am not a teenager and had a fear of highways. Honestly I wasn't sure I could ever drive. But all the work, encouragement and support I got from Mr Kim and the school (including scheduling folks that worked with me and accommodated my request) was so amazing. Now I am with a driver license, able to take my dog to park and vet on my own, and I can not be happier! Thank you Mr Kim for teaching me ☺️ I am very lucky to had you as my teacher.Shwetha Anand19:49 22 Aug 20Isaac is a great instructor and he is a very nice person . He is funny and is very patient. Have fun learning !Corbin Piliaris18:48 18 Aug 20Mr Kim was very nice and was very helpful when I had to ask questions, he also was very calming and didn't stress me at all.Dean Settimi23:32 14 Aug 20Mr. Kim is a great driving instructor. He made his lectures fun and hes funny as wellDarius Johnson17:16 19 Jul 20Mr. Kim is the best driving teacher in the country! He made classes and drives fun and informative.Cheng Zhifei18:57 27 Jun 20very responsible driving instructor. definitely worth the value. Highly recommended!SonicFrost01:29 16 Jun 20Mr. Isaac Kim is the best driving mentor to me. He helped me overcome my fear of driving. He helped me to have trust and courage in myself.Josh Delgadillo00:48 14 Jun 20Mr Kim is amazing! Instead of being boring I looked forward to going to drivers ed every day. Very forgiving and understanding for lessons, would highly recommend!shreya nadiger19:05 16 Mar 20I took a one hour class with the skills test combination with Mr. Isaac. It was a great experience. I was very nervous for the class, however Mr. Isaac was very patient and gave me many tips on how to crack the actual test. He made it a fun experience and also gave good feedback for the new/student driver to overcome our fear and drive better. I would definitely recommend defensive driving school and Mr. Isaac. Thank you.Liju Thomas21:45 03 Mar 20I trained with Issac Kim at Defensive Driving School, Issaquah. It has been a tremendous experience for me. Issac is patient, thorough, keeps his calm at all times and makes it a fun learning experience. Issac provides objective feedback to help improve overall driving and at the same time helps the student overcome any driving related fear. I would highly recommend the school and Issac Kim. Thank you:)!Brian Wong23:36 10 Feb 20Isaac is a wonderful instructor! I didn’t think I would be able to conquer the fear of driving but he helped me overcome my fear and encouraged me. He is also very patient and calm. He gives clear instructions. He is an excellent instructor!Max Kipust20:18 04 Jan 20I had an amazing experience driving with them. They taught me all the skills I needed to pass the test and even taking the test with them was a pleasure.Highly recommendJenelyn Zabay06:59 23 Dec 19Thank you Mr. Kim for being such a knowledgeable instructor. You made me a more confident driver. you are the best. This driving school is great. Again, thank you! Best of luck to you and the school. Awesome learning with you!Allison Chu21:49 16 Dec 19I took driving lessons and the skills test here with Isaac Kim. Before my first lesson, I thought I would always be anxious and could never be a confident driver. After taking lessons with Mr. Kim, I have become completely comfortable behind the wheel. Mr. Kim is incredibly patient and keeps the atmosphere light and positive. No matter how many mistakes you make, he stays cool and shows you how to correct them. Not only does he show you basic skills to pass the test, but he also shows you practical skills to help you in everyday driving. If I had come here years ago when I was first learning to drive, driving would never have been an issue. Isaac Kim is the best instructor anyone can hope to have. If you are looking for a driving school, stop looking and come here.Navtej Kathuria23:09 26 Nov 19Issac was a wonderful instructor and taught the class very well. He kept the content interesting and accurate. He is a wonderful driving instructor and is always very professional. I highly recommend Defensive Driving School and give a huge thanks to Issac for the experience.boss nass01:03 16 Nov 19This was our second experience with Defensive Driving School. Our first daughter also took her driver’s ed class with DDS. We had great experience this time with DDS at Issaquah. Isaac Kim was a great instructor to our second daughter - always helpful and humorous. My daughter enjoyed his and Doug’s lessons very much. Not surprisingly, she passed the written and skill tests without any problem.Thanks DDS.Shubhra Didi21:31 12 Nov 19Isaac Kim: This review is for my driving instructor Isaac Kim. He is the most patient instructor who not only teaches you how to drive safely with all the rules and regulations but also to how to drive elegantly and effortlessly. He is simply the best. I have tried learnig driving multiple times but never had the confidence. With him i have felt confident for the first time. A big thanks to him.Brian Guo01:10 23 Oct 19Very enjoyable experience, instructor Isaac Kim was extremely helpful in the classroom and especially on the drives. He always tries to make the class more exciting with jokes that may or may not be funny. I am more confident in my abilities now and feel like I have learned a lot.Shawn Draco22:01 20 Sep 19My teacher was Isaac Kim and he really made this class amazing. It was fun, and we also learned what we needed to at the same time. He's an awesome teacher, and I'm happy he helped me through this! 🙂Utsav Goswami01:35 19 Sep 19Took my driving skills test here today and passed on my first try! Mr.Kim was an amazing examiner and goes above and beyond by giving you a pep talk before the pre test! He gives clear directions and instructions during the test, and before you know it, you’ll be done!Tiffany Aske13:42 10 Sep 19We are happy to report that we have had an excellent experience from beginning to end with Defensive Driving School of Issaquah. This is our second child to work on the milestone of driving. We knew better this time to start our experience with a high quality program that would support us through the entire experience, even if our teen driver needed extra help. In this case, we did not end up needing the extra help, but every student is different. In our experience, not every local driving school is prepared to help students who do need extra support. This added support is not free, but it is worth every penny. During our recent experience, Mr. Kim provided engaging instruction, both in class and behind the wheel. Our young driver would come home with funny stories from class, indicating that Mr. Kim used language and instruction techniques that were memorable and related especially well to teens. As a parent, I was invited to sit in the back seat for every driving lesson. This allowed me to learn the lingo that the instructors use with the students, so I was better prepared to be a good teacher to my young driver during all of our practice drives. Mr. Kim is an outstanding instructor for both the teens and their parents. As far as supporting a child through milestones, I would rather go back to diapers than have to sit in the passenger seat during driving practice! The good news is that Defensive Driving School and their instructors help make the experience as pleasant as it can be. Highly recommend!Julia Kharchenko05:47 08 Sep 19I took both the teen course and the driver's license test here. Mr. Kim was a great instructor throughout the course and throughout the exam, and always maintained a positive attitude. I was very comfortable during my drives with the school and learned many useful techniques that I will take with me on the roads; I am confident that I can drive safely on the roads thanks to this course.Cameron McCaw02:20 07 Sep 19My driving instructor Mr. Kim was one of the best teachers I’ve ever had. Extremely patient and understanding he really focused on making sure i understood everything, and taught me very well.Dianne Caras20:47 30 Aug 19Defensive driving school really helped me learn all the rules of the road. Mr. Kim is super nice, funny, and makes learning fun. I was scared at first to take the class and drive but he made it very fun and easy. The whole month passed by in a flash. But now I am confident in driving then I was before. I highly recommend taking the class for this will help you in learning how to drive.Chris Leu23:50 17 Aug 19It's a great place to take your test. Mr. Kim is a great guy and an even better instructor. He is full of laughs!Hailey Warren00:54 17 Aug 19Had a great time! Really fun instructor, they really want you to succeed here. Hailey Warrenjasmine h21:51 30 Jul 19Mr. Kim was the best instructor! His class was engaging, interesting, and really fun to be a part of. He made every day an easily comprehensible experience and he made the drives less stressful due to his enjoyable demeanor. I highly recommend Defensive Driving School!Josiah Stewart00:15 23 Jun 19could not have had a better experience here! The classes (taught by Mr. Kim) were very informative, and yet entertaining! would HIGHLY recommend this place, and my teacher Isaac Kim!Vanessa Cusimano19:23 18 Jun 19Mr. Kim is patient and clear in his instruction. He communicates well with students and parents about skills to practice and next steps to take. The entire experience from driver's education through testing for license was positive. I highly recommend Defensive Driving School.Mahpara Khan23:52 24 May 19Mr. Issac Kim is an amazing instructor. He encouraged me through my thick and thin and pushed me to perfection. His caring attitude made things a lot easier, exactly what anyone would need in a new learning experience. I am glad I was a part of DDS. 👍👍👍Maya Menon02:45 13 Jun 18I had a great experience with Sir Kim Issac. He is a great instructor. I was very tensed and hesitant to drive on road. Sir Kim Issac taught me proper ways to drive and boosted my confidence too. Thank you sir for all your help.Jack Welsh01:46 05 Jun 18Mr. Kim was an amazing teacher and he really helped me (and my parents) get over my fears about driving. The classes were enjoyable and I learned a lot from drives in particular. Highly recommended!gillybeeaann00:20 27 May 18Isaac was a wonderful teacher- very kind, patient, and well-educated. Very funny and never was there a dull class. I really enjoyed taking drivers ed from him!Harsimrat Parmar23:15 10 May 18I have always been fearful of driving, especially merging onto the highways. I took lessons at Defensive Driving with Mr. Issac Kim. He was very patient with me and gave me time to learn and improve on my mistakes. He is an amazing teacher and helped overcome my fear of driving and made sure I was comfortable enough to get onto the highway. He gave me enough practice with the mock tests that I knew what I would be tested for during the driving test. I am grateful that I found Defensive Driving and Issac helped me learn. If possible would give them more stars. Can't recommend Issac enough!! 🙂Jiten Gala21:52 02 May 18Kim is best driving instructor ever! Even with my 10 + yrs of prior driving experience I learnt amazing details from his instructions for drivingLewis Back19:57 10 Mar 18Mr. Kim is very funny and a great teacher! He is very comfortable to drive with and get lessons from. Would definitely recommend to teen drivers.
Live web-based classes via Zoom. Due to the ending of the Covid-19 emergency order all web-based classes must end by 11/30/22. If you for sure want a web-based class, please sign up for classes that finish by 11/30/22 (WT88 is the last web-based class). The DOL is in the process of making a rule change that will hopefully allow web-based classes beyond that. Classes starting December 2022 will be held pending the DOL rule change. If for some reason it doesn’t pass then we will contact you to move you to an in-person class which will only be scheduled if the DOL rule change doesn’t happen.
WT86: 10/5/22 – 11/10/22, TWTh 6:30-8:30pm
WT87: 10/18/22 – 11/23/22, TWTh 4-6pm
WT88: 11/1/22 – 11/30/22, MTWTh 6:30-8:30pm. *No class 11/24 (Thanksgiving).
The below classes will be held subject to DOL rule change (see details in class description):
Click on “View More Info” for pricing and additional class information, as well as future classes.