Kirkland (Yarrow Point)
10505 NE 38th Pl, Bldg 9
Kirkland, WA 98033
TEEN CLASSES ARE HELD ONLINE VIA ZOOM. This is a location for Knowledge tests and pick up/drop off for lessons and tests. This is our main office with staff.
Speed up the registration process: pre-apply, the first step to getting your first driver license, instruction permit, or ID card.
Teen Course details (click here):
- Provided in our classes: 34 hours of classroom, 5 hours of driving, and 1 hour student observation.
- A parent information session will be held.
- We strongly encourage a parent or guardian ride along on at least one driving lesson.
- Minimum course length is 5 weeks and all classroom and driving requirements must be completed within 4 months. Students are allowed to miss and make up a maximum of 3 classes. Please keep extra-curricular activities and travel plans in mind before registering for a teen course to ensure proper attention can be given toward this course.
- A driving permit is required before the first lesson. Students can get their permit up to 10 days before the start date of class.
- Driving lessons are held outside of classroom meeting times and will extend beyond the end of the classroom portion of the course.
- Upon completion of the course, an electronic certificate will be reported to the Department of Licensing. This process takes up to 3-4 weeks.
- Most of our communication is through email. When registering please provide a regularly checked email address for both student and parent.
- 4.6Based on 220 reviewsNext ReviewsDebayan Chowdhury21:42 01 Jan 23I had a great experience with the Defensive Driving school. The instructor Christian was very professional and understanding. He helped me understand the common mistakes, rules etiquettes, etc and provided the steady and focused environment that I needed to pass the test and get my driver’s license. Thank you !!!Dustin Evans20:10 19 Nov 22Don't choose Kirkland for your skills test. You're forced to use their vehicles, but they look for something to fail you on. For all of 2 seconds going down a 40-degree slope, I hit 36mph in a 30mph zone, and I was failed for 'violating the law'. No point tally was even given. It was a full fail for that and that alone.From the things I got marked off for, the 'backing' was legit. It was a bend with poor visibility and I tapped the curb not once, but twice. Can admit that those marks are valid. However, the 'parking on a hill' was not done on a hill, nor was I told I should simulate being on a hill, but I was marked off for not using the parking brake. I'm also 100% confident that at no time did I stop beyond the line for a stop sign or traffic signal.You pay for every single test - no free retakes like with the knowledge test. They just want to get more money from you. Go somewhere else.Courtney Cole03:49 17 Aug 22We enrolled our youngest child in Defensive Driving School in Snohomish. My son’s classes were online. We were unsure if a two hour zoom class would be beneficial. It was much better than we anticipated. He drove with Cameron and Tyson. They both did a fantastic job with our beginning driver.April Keeter17:15 02 Aug 22My daughter had a great experience with Defensive Driving School. She drove with Issac Kim in Issaquah, and he was amazing with her. He had the perfect sense of humor to make her at ease and was always very reassuring to her. He gave excellent feedback to her on ways to improve. Overall, we had a phenomenal experience with this driving school and will be returning with our son.Sanika Sahasrabuddhe22:55 18 Jul 22Overall student experience is poor for price you pay (that are higher than other counterparts who provide driver training in the area). Low empathy for helping newer learners navigate the process and understand how they can avoid redundancies. There are other options in the area like 911 driving school whose drive test price is cheaper, and the instructor gives a thorough run down of why you failed the drive test instead of a plain, opaque 'You failed'.Stephen Howell - Rock Int'l Playboy09:56 13 May 22After having car service for the last 35+ yrs I needed to get my license , after speaking with several different driving schools I felt this was the right place to to take my business. I have had nothing but a 100% positive experience and the young people that I saw while I was at this school all had a smile on their face ( some maybe a little bit of a nervous smile but a smile none the less ) . I have a high profile job and life style, and was treated very well without the knowledge of this information. Thanx for the help! SD Howell / Rock Int'l PlayboyStephen Howell - Rock Int'l Playboy09:56 13 May 22After having car service for the last 35+ yrs I needed to get my license , after speaking with several different driving schools I felt this was the right place to to take my business. I have had nothing but a 100% positive experience and the young people that I saw while I was at this school all had a smile on their face ( some maybe a little bit of a nervous smile but a smile none the less ) . I have a high profile job and life style, and was treated very well without the knowledge of this information. Thanx for the help! SD Howell / Rock Int'l PlayboyGrayson Cummings02:54 22 Apr 22This place is valid Fr. Don’t forget to log your hours though.Kim Bohr Business & Leadership Growth Advisor17:48 23 Mar 22After hearing about other programs in the Ballard area that friends were not very pleased with, we wanted a better experience all around. After speaking with someone at Defensive Driving School, we found the process to be straightforward and easy. Additionally, when we had questions, the team was quick to respond. We felt our needs were taken care of on all fronts. We went to the University District location and highly recommend Defensive Driving School.Kim Ward04:59 10 Feb 22I have had a great experience with the classes, they are always very easy to understand and keep the class involved and learning- shout out to Vincent & Paul. With the drives I would HIGHLY recommend James. He has a very informative and calming demeanor which in my opinion is the only combination to have for a driving teacher! He was able to detect what type of personality my daughter had and engage with her as a person, she was able to relax and just focus on learning! It was amazing to watch; also I had some trouble with the scheduling agent site and Clay could not have been more patient even though I was panicking. I don't know if anyone in charge reads this, but if you do- these people I have mentioned all deserve a raise. This is my first experience with a child in drivers ed and I could not have been happier. Highly recommended!The Rice Man04:33 10 Feb 22Great class, with good instructors and great communication. 10/10Abdilahi Ali18:51 20 Jan 22Don't go to defensive driving school they don't teach well, make you hard and confusing...., and calling customer service not going answer all of ur questions and treat you like no body. The instructors there to get paid not to teach you. She says do anything u want with ur car but don't break this car, how I'm going learn anything if I don't make mistakes?Mandy van der Walt19:19 10 Sep 21I had a fantastic experience at the Yarrow Point location! The instructors are always on time, professional and are able to put you at ease. I would highly recommend Marc Eilers as well as Tony Nguyen. They were both fantastic and are great with teenagers and adults alike. Thank you so much for all the time and effort!NICOLE HANNAH22:32 27 Aug 21Both of my daughters learned how to drive through defensive driving school at the Yarrow Point location. They are very organized, professional and positive in their approach. A special thank you to the instructor Mark and Carol for teaching them how to drive.Matthew Cashew19:01 11 Aug 21The instructors were amazing and made me a confident driver.Emma Mckay21:37 10 Aug 21I just finished a course with Whitney and Michelle and they were amazing. The class is fun yet informative and I now feel confidant moving forward with driving. Would give more stars if possibleDavid Magidson21:34 10 Aug 21Just finished my Driver's Ed class with Whitney and Michelle online and the class was great! Very clear classes, the workbook was useful, and all around a great experience! ThanksKana Zhao00:59 14 Jul 21I was a 16 year old who didn't know anything about driving. Signed up for this course. Got in Whitney's class. Best instructor out there 10/10. Classes help with facts you need to know. Issac is really good at teaching the actual driving. He makes stressful situations fun.Deependra Jhala04:46 03 Jul 21Best money ever spent on classes. Took driving lessons from Marc and Tony both are great instructors, very good at building confidence and they go an extra mile to teach you safe drivng.D Man01:05 25 Jun 21I just finished my driver's education course through DDS and I loved it! Michelle and Verla were GREAT! I highly recommend it! THANK YOU!Cheryl Geels18:26 09 Jun 21I've had two kids learn to drive through the Yarrow Point Defensive Driving School, and I would recommend them to anyone. They taught my children to be very aware, very safe drivers. Most recently, Marc did all of my son's in-car instruction, and it was a fantastic experience. He's a such kind guy and a great teacher, and he made what could have been an anxious experience into something really fun, and also extremely instructive. Thank you Marc and all for teaching my kids well!J H01:00 12 May 21Instructors are nice and cover the material very well, and manage to keep it pretty interesting. This probably varies from class to class, but the other people in the class I'm in are all pretty awesome too. All in all a pretty solid experience thus far, definitely recommendedKimberly Becerril Fuentes23:38 15 Apr 21I had a great experience learning to drive here. All the instructors were patient, gave clear instructions and made me feel confident and safe all the time. Marc is awesome! I definitely recommend you guys!Charlie Lonac19:39 07 Apr 21Marc is super easy to work with and very patient with new drivers.khushboo khimani05:28 01 Apr 21Marc was my driving instructor and I felt very confident driving after taking the lessons with him. He is very professional, patient and easy to communicate with. Would definitely recommend.Brandon Winder18:35 02 Feb 21Highly recommend. We have three children who have completed the driving course at Defensive Driving, and each one has had a positive experience. I have recommended them to friends in the past, and will continue to do so.Dennis Brooke17:22 14 Nov 20Highly recommend. My 82 year old mother thought she was ready to start driving again after not driving for several years. I took her to DDS for a two plus hour evaluation. After testing at both the office and driving, they recommended she not drive again.Using an independent, qualified service, helped her to make an informed decision on whether or not she'd be safe back on the roads. We appreciate their professionalism and care during the process. It was worth the money.On the other hand, the department of licensing recommended she just start driving again. Thank God for the pedestrians and other drivers on the road, we didn't take their advice.Natali Sweetmalson22:34 23 Oct 20The owner JC was very calming and reassuring. He gave me clear instructions during the driving test. It was a pleasant experience and I appreciate his service.Mohit Singh22:45 01 Oct 20Deep is a great instructor! I scheduled 2 drives with him and they went great! He is great at teaching Parallel parking and backing around a corner! I took my final with him and passed. Overall a great instructor!sophronia k-w01:01 11 Sep 20Even in a pandemic they make learning how to drive fun.Sydney Moriah00:55 11 Sep 20Helpful instructors. I did my courses during Covid-19. Which required the lessons to be online. They made it very easy to stay engaged while learning and taught very well even if they were online.Edward Lee00:55 11 Sep 20Tyson and Verla were always very upbeat but they also taught efficiently. Would recommend.Kaitlyn Nyangate20:55 01 Sep 20I learned a lot about driving and I loved how thorough it was as wellCarter Mitchell22:22 06 Aug 20I had a great experience learning from all of my instructors, and the office gave great support when there was an issue that needed to be fixed. I would highly recommend going to DDS.Shyama Neelambika21:48 03 Aug 20I have tried 4 schools and a few instructors in the area and Marc Eilers who works out of DDS Kirkland is the best out of the lot. He is patient, kind and very thorough with his teaching style. If you are looking to get your license, go to Marc!Anthony Moritz19:04 22 Jul 20The instructors are the best, the class teaches you so much useful stuff you never would have thought of. I'm so happy I chose to go herelauren brianna00:16 22 Jul 20Each and every teacher I had during my web-based instruction made sure to be thorough and clear on what I needed to know! This class was definitely worth the $500 🙂Sanita Salter05:54 11 Jun 20Marty at West Seattle location was wonderful and delightful and friendly and non intimidating. My daughter relaxed and he made it easy to learn and removed her anxiety.Jacqueline Mischel01:52 06 Jun 20The instructors were very nice! Even though the classes were boring at times, they made them way more fun and enjoyable! I would definitely recommend this to my friends!Kyra Burke Musnick23:46 12 May 20I completed the online course during April to May, I had vallare and Kyle both exceptional people and exceptional teachers! Both so sweet! I recommend defensive driving school! It had too would do it again there. 10/10!Lexy Relph23:32 20 Apr 20My son took the web-based DDS learner class during the covid shutdown. It was the first webinar version of the course, and they were really well organized. He found it very informative and really liked instructor Kyle. The condensed format was terrific. Looking forward to in-person drives when everything opens up again.Olivia Smith00:19 11 Apr 20I did half of my class in a classroom and half online due to covid 19. The online classes were just as good as the in person ones. Everything they teach has a purpose and is very helpful in knowing what to do on the road. All of the instructor are very nice and experienced. I would highly recommend this driving school for anyone learning to drive.Divya Sen21:16 24 Feb 20My husband and I took driving lessons from the kirkland branch. Marc taught both of us. He is a very good instructor who was patient with us and gave a very detailed feedback after each class. I would highly recommend Marc to anyone who is learning to get behind the wheels in a safe way.Heaston Family Adventures16:40 22 Feb 20Issaquah location was outstanding!! Isaac was an outstanding instructor who has the gift in teaching a dry subject and making it memorable for the kids. Highly recommended!Stephanie Shipley02:30 19 Feb 20I’ve had four children take classes through DDS. The instructor makes classes enjoyable and is great with the on the road instruction. Highly recommend them!Ian Stambaugh01:55 29 Jan 20Mr. Brett is the best instructor here. He is quite fun, but I have also learned a lot from his instructory manner. I now feel much more confident behind the wheel after taking this class. Thank you for this experience.leo ifrim01:55 29 Jan 20Brett is the best teacher. He very funny, very cool man. Very fun man, yes. This class very fun cool funny yes. Thank you Mr Brett Man.dency patel18:55 10 Dec 19Wonderful place to learn Driving! Marc Eilers was the instructor. He was great instructor and helped me a lot on improving my Driving Skills. Highly recommend this place to anyone who's looking to learn how to drive.Christofer Jenks20:30 19 Nov 19Wonderful place! Marc Eilers was the instructor i had and although i stalled the vehicle a number of times he never made me feel pressured. Such a good guy. Highly recommend this place to anyone who's looking to learn how to drive a stick (or learn to drive in general).Jaimee Walmsley23:24 07 Nov 19Great experience with DDS in Poulsbo! Very thorough teaching and learning and I felt that my child was very equipped with the knowledge he will need to be a safe and conscientious driver. 🙂Nisha Graham19:35 07 Nov 19I took 10 lessons at the Kirkland/Bellevue (Yarrow Point) location, and did most of them with Marc. He was very patient, and explained things well. The commentary driving helped a lot. I passed my driving test first time round, and couldn't have done it without these valuable lessons. Definitely recommend!Linda Story21:42 04 Nov 19Kyle, who instructs the stick shift course, is great! Kyle was patient and had great techniques to help learn driving with a clutch. My son was able to drive the manual car within the 90 minute instruction time. Thank you, Kyle!Cynthia Portis14:30 07 Oct 19My husband and I were pleased with the instruction our son received at Silverdale DDS. We appreciated being able to each do an observation ride along which allowed us to hear the feedback given to our son and follow-up outside of the class. Mitch is great and has a very engaging teaching style.Devon Balocco23:44 08 Sep 19DDS of Factoria was an exceptionally positive experience! Highly recommend this location as Jim Freaney was a great classroom instructor and also very calm and helpful during the instructional drives, teaching proper maneuvers and rules of the road. Michelle and Kristal in customer service were also very helpful and quick to respond to questions and rescheduling needs. So appreciate the dedication of this team to provide proficiency to these new drivers on the road.Kyle Mattox23:30 30 Aug 19They let me teach stick, in a brand new Mazda. What more could I need??MDJ Beauty17:54 22 Aug 19The school did what they were supposed to do. I went along for a ride with my child's classroom instructor and he was kind, instructed well, and explained differences from what we learned to what they were teaching the teens today. My son said classes were boring, but every school is boring to the teens that we know. What I like is that he actually learned a lot and became more comfortable behind the wheel of the car. The rest is up to me.Chelsea McKitten18:01 19 Aug 19Instructor was nice, teaching style wasn’t for me. The commentary driving was more distracting than helpful in my opinion. Some people might like it.Joanna Oster18:21 09 Jul 19I really enjoy the driving lessons. As a beginner it was nice to get a different view of driving from a professional instead of just my parents 🙂Roger C19:32 05 Jun 19We never had a single issue with DDS. They were superb! Customer support from the Kirkland office was really good. Asked them lots of questions during the 6 weeks. Really helped us understand the process at DOL as well as what the driving school provides. All the instructors in the University District were very good. I rode two times during my grand daughter’s training. Impressed and learned some ways to to help in between scheduled drives. I have no hesitation with my 5 star rating.Cody C20:25 06 Apr 19I had a great experience taking a stick shift lesson with Kyle. Never driving stick before, Kyle was able to cover the basics and get me moving quicker than I expected. He was motivated to make sure I got the most out of my lesson, getting me out of the parking lot when I felt ready, and asking about any specific things I wanted to learn when on the road. Kyle is professional, knowledgeable, and supportive.Desiree Lane03:16 24 May 18(Renton location) Elizabeth is a great teacher and is very nice and down to earth person, I’m learning a lot in her class! Would rate her 5/5 stars as a driver ed teacher and person!! She’s really good on drives and teaching the ways of the road! Gayan, I have done 3 drives with him and every time he has been on the phone talking with other people, and even made me wait 15 min so he could finish a call! Wouldn’t recommend him.Melissa Mulkey00:49 17 May 18Renton Defensive is great we get workbooks to take home and Elizabeth is great!Andrew Wright14:11 02 Mar 18Jimmy (the instructor in Lynnwood) has a calm disposition and when I went on a drive along with him I was amazed at his abilities. He keeps the dialogue comfortable in the car putting the student at ease, but not distracting. He was fully engaged in the instruction and was careful not to criticize. I liked how he repeated phrases of instruction ingraining them in the student's mind for future driving. These words quickly became habits that insure good driving. Even with more nerve wracking drives where my daughter was nervous before hand (the freeway drive) she returned home confident and encouraged feeling capable because that is what he instilled in her in the process. Jimmy is a true asset to the experience. He is exceptional! We will be back with our third child.Lori Jean Andrade18:29 15 Feb 18Referred by previous students. Close and convenient. Informative reminders. Michelle is amazing!!! Pleasant experience.Ronnie Netz23:25 12 Sep 17The classes were interesting and taught very well. The staff were very polite and easy to work with. Fey took me on my drives and did a good job of making me feel comfortable while also helping me be aware of my surroundings using commentary driving. Carol was my teacher and she did a great job teaching the class.
Live web-based classes via Zoom (now permanently approved by the DOL). Below is the overview of the class schedule. Scroll down further and click on “View More Info” to enroll.
WT103*: 5/30/23 – 7/6/23, ONLINE, TWTh 4-6pm. *No class 7/4.
WT104*: 6/13/23 – 7/20/23, ONLINE, TWTh 6:30-8:30pm. *No class 7/4.
WT105*: 6/28/23 – 7/27/23, ONLINE, MTWTh 10am-12pm. *No class 7/4.
WT106*: 6/28/23 – 7/27/23, ONLINE, MTWTh 12:30-2:30pm. *No class 7/4.
WT107: 7/6/23 – 8/3/23, ONLINE, MTWTh 10am-12pm.
WT108: 7/13/23 – 8/10/23, ONLINE, MTWTh 12:30-2:30pm.
WT109: 7/25/23 – 8/30/23, ONLINE, TWTh 4-6pm.
WT110: 8/1/23 – 8/29/23, ONLINE, MTWTh 10am-12pm.
WT111: 8/1/23 – 8/29/23, ONLINE, MTWTh 12:30-2:30pm.
WT112: 8/16/23 – 9/21/23, ONLINE, TWTh 6:30-8:30pm.
WT113: 9/6/23 – 10/12/23, ONLINE, TWTh 4-6pm.